Pennsylvania law requires the Sheriff of Northumberland
County to process all applications for a license to
Licenses are issued to all those who qualify,
based on a background investigation done by the
Sheriff's Office through the Pennsylvania Instant
Check system (PIC). The pistol permit fee is $20.00 for a picture ID payable in cash. Once an application for license
to carry is filed, the Sheriff has 45 days in which
to do the investigation and notify the applicant. The
license is valid for 5 years. The Sheriff has the
ability to revoke the license at anytime for misuse.
All applicants are required to have a valid
Pennsylvania Drivers License or ID
at the time the application is
Things to know about your permit
Please Follow these Instructions
- After you open the online form, complete every field.
- Print out Page 1 of the form ONLY. For most users, the option to print from Page 1 to 1 is the easiest way to print just the first page.
- Allow the ink to dry.
- Turn the paper over and re-insert in your printer.
- Print Page 2 of the form on the remaining blank side using the same method described in step 2 above, except you will print from Page 2 of 2.
- Sign the form, and come in person into the office.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED USING TWO PIECES OF PAPER ARE SUBJECT TO REJECTION BY THE SHERIFF. PLEASE PRINT YOUR APPLICATION "BACK-TO-BACK" ON ONE SHEET OF PAPER.
Information for Pennsylvania Firearm Purchasers &
Basic Firearm Safety